Discover the best places in Asia with the top destinations, cities and natural wonders of Southeast Asia including Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam, Northeast Asia including China, North Korea and Japan , the Indian Subcontinent including India, Nepal and Maldives, Central Asia and the Middle East including UAE, Qatar and Bahrain.
Asia is perhaps one of the most diverse and intriguing continent on Earth offering an abundance of cultural and historical heritage, and a variety of natural wonders. It comes to no surprise that Asia has become one of the most sought after destination in the world with millions of tourist flocking in each year. From the idyllic beaches of Thailand to the Himalayas , the world’s biggest mountains, passing by some of the 21st century biggest cities include Shanghai, Hong Kong or Bangkok, it really has everything to blow your mind away.
Asia can be divided into the various sub-regions including Southeast Asia, a popular holiday destination especially in Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam , Northeast Asia with the power economy of China, North Korea and Japan , the Indian Subcontinent & The Himalaya a Central Asia.
- Asia Maps
- Top destinations in Southeast Asia
- Top destinations in Northeast Asia
- Top destinations in Indian Subcontinent
- Top destinations in Central Asia
- Top destinations in the Middle East
- Top journeys in Asia
- About Asia: Essential facts
Discover the top destinations of Asia on our Interactive Asia Map. The map includes all the countries of the continent, the best places to visit, top cities to explore, most remarkable natural wonders and the most idyllic beaches.
Top destinations in Southeast Asia
Southeast Asia is the most exotic and tropical sub regions in Asia, due to its climate, sunny days, lovely beaches and paradise islands. Some of the op places in Southeast Asia include Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam , with the best cities to discover include Bangkok, Singapore and Ho Chi Minh City. The area is also home to some of the best beaches in the world especially around Phucket or the islands of Koh Lanta, Koh Samui or Koh Phangan.
Thailand is by far one of the world’s most visited exotic destinations. Not only because of the magnificence scenery but also because of its friendly citizens with their genuine smiles and Zen like approach. Not to forget the country has a legendary hedonistic attitude towards life.
Thailand’s top experiences include:
- Enjoy the beautiful sandy beaches of Phucket
- Party with some of the friendliest and gentle people on the planet
- Discover the jungle of gridlocked Bangkok
- Dive in the remarkable coral gardens near the Phucket beaches
- Taste the savours of Thailand’s local exotic cuisine
- Visit the temples of Chiang Mai
- Relax with a Thai massage
Singapore is one of Southeast Asian most dynamic and cosmopolitan city-state with an impressing array of quality shopping, nightlife and Asian cuisine.
Singapore’s top experiences include:
- Enjoy a Tiger beer some street cuisine in the open air hawker centre
- Enjoy the night safari
- Relax in the islands of Si Phan Don
- Get lost in the ethnic districts of the city including Little India, Chinatown and Kampong Glam
- Shop until you drop on Orchard Road
Cambodia is the land of the most magnificent temples in Southeast Asia.
Cambodia’s top experiences include :
- Explore Angkor Wat, the biggest religious temple in the world
- Ride the Bamboo train around Battambang
- Enjoy the isolated tropical paradise on the south coast beach of Sihanoukville
- Write elephants with the Pnong People in the wild east of Mondulkiri
- Discover one of Asia’s most intriguing capital, Phnom Penh
Vietnam is another of Southeast Asia tropical treasure with its long coast off the South China Sea.
Vietnam’s top experiences include:
- Take a motorcycle journey from Hanoi to the Gulf of Thailand
- Enjoy cheap beer at a Bia Hoi with a streetside of pho, Vietnam’s flat rice noodle soup
- Enjoy the beautiful sandy white beaches of Phu Quoc island
- Kayaking near the islands of Halong Bay
- Discover the chaotic city of Ho Chi Minh on a pedal power cycle
Squeezed between Thailand’s and Vietnam top holiday destinations, Laos is one of the most laid back country on the planet with a very ecological approach.
Cambodia’s top experiences include:
- Enjoy a beer Lao with a laap, a spicy and delicious meat salad
- Visit the temple of Wat Phu Champasak
- Relax in the islands of Si Phan Don
- Travel on the Mekong River on a river boat
- Visit the national park of Nam Ha
Malaysia is a unique destination in Southeast Asia with a diversified environment, people and culture.
Cambodia’s top experiences include:
- Relax and Enjoy on the beautiful sandy beaches of Pulau Perhentian
- Dive in the exceptional waters the Tun Sakaran Marine Park
- Climb the highest park , Mt Kinabalu
- Taste the street food cuisine at the night markets and mamak stalls
Brunei is of the wealthiest monarchy rule state in Southeast Asia.
Brunei’s top experiences include:
- Discover the past ruling monarchs at the Brunei Museum
- Travel on a motorboat taxi to discover Kampung Ayer water villages
- Visit the national park of Ulu Temburong
Indonesia is one of the most diverse counties in Southeast Asia offering various experiences, with its unique landscapes, wildlife and culture.
Indonesia’s top experiences include:
- Visit the Javas , Buddhist monument on the peaks of Borobudur
- Swim with whales shark at Sumatras Pulau Weh
- Visit the national park of Tanjug Putting in Kalimantan’s
- Dive in the exceptional waters and coral reef off Maluku’s Banda Islands
East Timor is the world’s newest country, only gaining independence in 2006.
East Timor’s top experiences include:
- Dive in the north coast reef
- Climb the Mt Ramelau and be impressed by the breathtaking view of the north and south coast
- Explore in the islands of Maubara and discover it’s Portuguese heritage
The Philippines are the Southeast Asian country with the most islands with no less than 7000 of them.
Philippines top experiences include:
- Dive among the sunken Japanese war ships in the Coron Bay
- Swim with whales shark near Donsol and southern Layte
- Hike the rice terraces of the Cordillera Mountains
- Get lost in the streets of Manila
Top destinations in Northeast Asia
Northeast Asia is a mix of eastern tradition and modern approach, as well as one of the most populous areas in the world, with China itself counting for a fifth of the total population.
The Northeast Asia region can be divided into the following key states: Honk Kong, Macau, China, Mongolia, South Korea, North Korea, Taiwan and Japan. Top places in Northeast Asia include China, South Korea and Japan. As for the best cities to party, live or must visit it include Tokyo, Seoul and Shanghai.
Honk Kong, located on the island of the same name on the Kowloon peninsula and has one of the most spectacular skyscrapers in the world. Hong Kong which was run by the British (until 1997) remain the perfect mix between east and west.
Honk Kong top experiences include:
- Visit the Tian Ten Buddha
- Shop until you drop at the Temple Street Night market
- Party and meet new people in multiple bars of Lan Kwai Fong
- Take the Star ferry across Victoria Harbour
- Enjoy a ride on the Peak tram
Macau is a small state within China and known to be the Las Vegas of Northeast Asia.
Macau top experiences include:
- Try your luck at the numerous casinos
- Visit the Taipa House museum
- Enjoy the remaining of the St Paul’s Church
China remains one of the most unique countries in the world combining thousands years old tradition with a market driven economy. It is indeed one of the fastest growing economy in the world and there is no sign of slowing back.
China top experiences include:
- Take a journey on China’s Great Wall
- Visit the sensory overloaded cities of Shanghai and Beijing
- Discover the imperial past with the Terracotta Army
- Climb the Huang Mountains
Mongolia is one of the most humble states in Northeast Asia with an incomparable remarkable wild beauty.
Mongolia top experiences include:
- Ride a horse on the steppe
- Discover the lifestyle of nomad family
- Get lost in the wilderness with communistic Russian jeep
South Korea is a remarkable country with Asia with its own special touch.
South Korea top experiences include:
- Discover the chaotic Seoul
- Visit the fortress in Suwon City
- Enjoy a jjim jjobang hot spring spa
- Explore Jejudo honeymoon island
Japan is the world’s most high tech country but with the ability to preserve its traditions.
Japan top experiences include:
- Get lost in Tokyo during rush hour
- Calm yourself with a bowl of whisked green tea
- Enjoy that star in a rotemburo open air bath
- View a sumo wrestler match
- Discover the great Buddha of Nara
Taiwan also named the “beautiful island” is a jewel of natural beauty, hospitable people, and most entrepreneurial businesses in the world.
Taiwan’s top experiences include:
- Discover the hot spring of Chihpen
- Hiking in the Suao-Hualien highway
- Visit the Matsu Archipelago
- Enjoy the wonders of the National Palace Museum in Taipei
Top destinations in Indian Subcontinent
The Indian subcontinent and the Himalaya is perhaps the most life changing region in Northeast Asia. Top places in the Indian Subcontinent include India, Nepal and Laos, with best cities to discover include Mumbai, Delhi and Kathmandu. Some of the most remarkable experiences to enjoy on the Indian subcontinent include discovering India by train, hiking in the Himalayas and enjoy a piece of paradise on earth in the Maldives.
The Indian subcontinent in Northeast Asia region consists of India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
India is the land of charming people and a variety of colours, smells, religions and landscapes. It is perhaps one of the most life changing countries in the world when discovered.
India’s top experiences include:
- Get lost in Mumbai street Jungle
- Experience the train journey across India
- Explore Kochi Portuguese heritage
- Explore the French heritage of Chennai
- Be impressed by the Taj Mahal in Agra
- Relax and meditate in the north near the Himalayan mountains
Pakistan is a land of colours and beauty, with various ancient ruins, beautiful mountains and legendary trekking routes and remaining of its tribal cultures.
Pakistan top experiences include:
- Visit the remaining ruins of an ancient city in Mohenjo-Daro
- Go trekking in Baltistan
- Discover the traditions of the Kalasha people in the Hindu Kush valley
Nepal located in the Himalaya chain, is the Mecca for mountain travellers.
Nepal top experiences include:
- Trekking the Annapurna or Everest Base camp
- Raft the Bhote Khosi
- Experience fantastic temples in Kathmandu
Bhutan lives in a time of its own in the splendours of the Himalaya. It is perhaps the most mystique country in the world.
Bhutan top experiences include:
- Enjoy a Thimphu archery tournament
- Trekking the Jumolhari
- Experience the Paro tsetchu dances
Tibet is the land of the snow and once the home of the Dalai Lama.
Bhutan top experiences include:
- Enjoy the breathtaking view of the Himalayas from Rongphu Monastary
- Drive to Mt Kailash, Asia’s most sacred mountain
- Experience the numerous Tibetan monasteries
Bangladesh might be one of the last remains of authentic culture in Asia.
Bangladesh top experiences include:
- Visit the ancient sites in Bagerhat
- Lose yourself in a rickshaw ride in Old Dhaka
- Experience the canals of the Sunderbans
- Ride a Rocket boat in the countryside
Sri Lanka offers one of the most exotic and beautiful scenery in the region.
Sri Lanka top experiences include:
- Enjoy the Esala Perahera festival
- Experience the green tea plantation on a moppet
- Lose yourself in a rickshaw ride in Colombo
The Maldives might be one of the world’s remaining tropical paradises
Maldives top experiences include:
- Dive with the turtles and friendly sharks
- Enjoy the beautiful sandy beaches of the islands
- Discover the tiny capital of Male
Top destinations in Central Asia
Central Asia is a region of Asia from the Caspian Sea in the west to central China in the east, and from southern Russia in the north to Afghanistan in the south. Top places in Central Asia include Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. Best Cities to visit include Astana, Ashgabat and Tashkent.
- Enjoy Kazakhstan’s booming cities of Almaty and Astana
- Visit Turkmenistan’s 12 meters high golden statue
- Visit Uzbekistan’s spectacular architecture in Samarkand’s Registan
- Hike Tajikistan’s turquoise lakes in the Fan mountains
- Shop for the top Asian spices in the Osh bazaar in Kyrgyzstan
- Enjoy a buzkashi game in Afghanistan, a polo like horse ridden game played with headless goat
Kazakhstan is the biggest country in central Asia, with its nomadic and horse people past combine with the one of the world’s largest oil reserves.
Kazakhstan top experiences:
- Trek to Kol Say lakes
- Pilgrim to the Timurid-era Kozha Akhmed Yasaui Mausoleum
- Enjoy the booming cities of Almaty and Astana
Turkmenistan in the desert kingdom of central Asia
Turkmenistan top experiences:
- Visit the 12 meters high golden statue of the president in Aszgabut
- Go carpet shopping in Tolkucha bazaar
- Meet the Yurt people in Karkum black sand desert
Uzbekistan in the located in the middle of the central Asian Silk road and has one of the most hospitable people in the region.
Uzbekistan top experiences:
- Enjoy a naan bread fresh from a tandoor oven
- Go carpet shopping in Bukhara’s market
- Visit the spectacular architecture in Samarkand’s Registan
Tajikistan is located in the most remote corners of the region, but if you are looking for an authentic central Asian adventure with a beautiful mountain scenery, Tajikistan is your destination.
Tajikistan top experiences:
- Hike to turquoise lakes in the Fan mountains
- Take a exciting road trip from Korong to Osh
- Enjoy a traditional bowl of kurtob (bread, yoghurt, onion and coriander)
Kyrgyzstan is perhaps the most welcoming republic in Central Asia, with its nice people and spectacular landscape of mountains and yurts.
Kyrgyzstan top experiences:
- Shop for the top Asian spices in the Osh bazaar
- Horse trek to the lake Issyk-Kul
- Enjoy a kymys drink
- Visit the magnificent blue waters of the Band-emir Lakes
Top destinations in the Middle East
The Middle East is the cradle of civilisation as the world’s greatest empires and cities were created in the region. Indeed the history of the Middle East dates back to ancient times, and throughout its history, the Middle East has been a major centre of world affairs. Top places in the Middle East include Lebanon, Oman and United Arabs Emirates with Best Cities to party, live or must visit include Dubai and Tel-Aviv.
Middle East region consists of the countries of Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen and Bahrain.
Bahrain with one of the easiest-going lifestyle in the gulf is definitely worth visiting with its mix of old pear industry and contemporary skyscrapers.
Bahrain top experiences:
- Enjoy the excitement of the Formula 1 Grand Prix
- Try to catch pearls in shallow waters
- Bargain and Shop in Bab al-Bahrein
Jordan might be one of the most peaceful country surrounded with tough neighbours.
Jordan top experiences:
- Enjoy the chariot races at the Roman ruins of Jerash
- Discover Amman
- Dive the waters off the coast of Aqaba
The city state of Kuwait is one of the most dynamic areas in the region.
Kuwait top experiences:
- Enjoy some of Kuwait’s finest beaches
- Discover the impressing city
- Dine on the Al-Hashemi II , the world’s largest wooden boat
Oman is a modern country with traditional values, and immensely rich in natural and cultural beauty.
Oman top experiences:
- Enjoy a buzkashi game, a polo like horse ridden game played with headless goat
- Discover the lost beauty of the destroyed Buddha’s of Bamiyan
- Visit the magnificent blue waters of the Band-emir Lakes
Qatar is another fashionable place in the Middle-East.
Qatar top experiences:
- Enjoy a walk along the Doha’s corniche
- Camping near the water and rock formation at Bir Zekreet
- Visit the camel races track in Al-Shahhainiya
Syria is another friendly destination in the Middle East region, with a vast array of castles and ruins.
Syria top experiences:
- Discover the roman ruins of Palmyra or theatres at Bosra’s fortress
- Listen to the professional story teller, the hakawati
- Visit the ghost towns of the death cities
- Enjoy a delicious foul soup in Aleppo
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates may be the most popular tourist destination in the region, combining the exotic of Bedouin culture with western modernity.
United Arab Emirates top experiences:
- Discover the magnificent building and constructions of Dubai including the Burj Al Arab and the Palm
- Visit the magnificent crystal clear waters of the Arabian Sea
- Shop for gold, spices and carpets at Burj Al-Arab paperweights
Yemen is known for his welcoming people as well as for its deserts and ancient ruins.
Yemen top experiences:
- Discover the magnificent Shibam, also called the Manhattan of the deserts
- Visit the magnificent temples at Ma’rib
- Enjoy a fresh fish cooked in a traditional clay oven
Top journeys in Asia
Some of Asia’s greatest journeys you can take include:
- Island hoping in south-east Asia
- Motorcycle journey in China
- India’s train journey
- Trans Siberian Railway journey
- Silk road journey
- Lawrence of Arabia journey
About Asia: Essential facts
The following are some important facts about Asia, including its population, geography, diversity and economy.
- Asia countries
- Asia population
- Asia cities
- Asia geography
- Asia economy
Asia has 44 countries and 40 official languages
Asia is the world’s most populous continent, hosting 4 billion people, 60% of the world’s current human population. It has the largest ethnic group with the 1.2 billion Han Chinese
Asia has the second tallest building with the 509m Taipei 101.
Asia is the world’s largest continent covering 30% of its land area. Asia has the highest mountain, the Mount Everest with 8848m. It is part of the landmass of Eurasia, which also includes Europe. Asia is located to the east of the Suez Canal, east of the Ural Mountains and south of the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian and Black Seas. It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the south by the Indian Ocean and on the North by the Arctic Ocean.
Japan is the largest economy of Asia and the second largest in the world. China has the largest economy (purchasing power parity terms) in Asia and the second largest in the world.