The 2011 data from the Economist Intelligence Unit’s liveability are being revealed. Once again the Canadian and Australian cities are the favourites with a total of seven in the top ten ranking. Those cities distinguish themselves by being safer, offering a better education system, having a more robust and effective infrastructure as well as offering a wide array of quality goods and services.
Top 1o cities list
Vancouver, the host of the 2010 Winter Olympics is the beautiful west coast Canadian city that tops the list for a consecutive fifth year. It is closely followed by second position Australian city Melbourne. The third candidate is Austria’s capital Vienna, one of the only two European cities in the top 10 list with the other one being Helsinki at number 6.
Other top Canadian cities in the 2011 ranking include Toronto and Calgary with the 4th and 5th position respectively . As for our Aussie friends we have the cities of Sydney at 7th and Perth and Adelaide both tied at 8th. Finally the 10th position is set by the New Zealand city of Auckland.
World’s most Liveable cities order and ratings:
- Vancouver, Canada, 98.0
- Melbourne, Australia, 97.5
- Vienna, Austria, 97.4
- Toronto, Canada, 97.2
- Calgary, Canada, 96.6
- Helsinki, Finland, 96.2
- Sydney, Australia, 96.1
- Perth Australia, 95.9
- Adelaide, Australia, 95.9
- Auckland, New Zealand, 95.7
World’s most Liveable cities map
Below is a small description of each of this year top winners and where to find the best hotel deal in town.
As being the number one city for the last 5 years it is not a coincidence that Vancouver is the World’s Most Liveable City. It has a perfect combination of green environment, good health care and offers plenty to its citizen in terms of both infrastructure and culture.
Being perfectly placed between the Pacific Ocean and the Rockies Mountains, the city offers amazing natural beauty and is often on top positions on other lists including on the world’s most beautiful destinations.
With its population of 2.6 million, Vancouver is the largest metropolitan area in Western Canada and offers plenty of sightseeing, amazing restaurants and nightlife to choose from.
Some of the top hotels in Vancouver include:
- Shangri-la Vancouver: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Metropolitan Vancouver Hotel: Top 4 stars accommodation
- Sandman Suites on Davie Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Days Inn Vancouver Metro Hotel: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Vancouver hotels, best prices guarantee
Melbourne, which comes second as the world most liveable city, is Australia’s second largest agglomeration as well as the capital of the south-eastern state of Victoria. It is beautifully situated at the head of Port Phillip Bay and is known to be Australia’s cultural capital with a variety of various museums, galleries and theatres immersed into a Victorian-era architecture.
Melbourne is the perfect place for sport lovers with plenty of major sporting events to choose from. It has many great parks, a variety of gardens as well as extensive shopping locations. It can be a great base location for the explorations of surrounding regions such as The Great Ocean Road, Grampians National Park or to visit the Phillip Island to view the penguin parade.
Some of the top hotels in Melbourne include:
- Top 5 stars accommodation : Art Series The Cullen Hotel
- Top 4 stars accommodation: Atlantis Hotel
- Top 3 stars accommodation: Mercure Welcome Melbourne
- Top Budget accommodation: Sleep & Go
Choose from hundreds of Melbourne hotels, best prices guarantee
Vienna is Europe most liveable city and third overall on the internationals list. It is indeed an amazing place in the heart of Austria, being not only its capital but the economic and cultural hub as well. The historic city centre is inscribed on to the UNESCO World Heritage List and is definitely worth a visit.
Some of the top hotels in Vienna include:
- Top 5 stars accommodation : InterContinental Hotel
- Top 4 stars accommodation: MGallery Konzerthaus Hotel
- Top 3 stars accommodation : Suite Novotel Wien Messe Hotel
- Top Budget accommodation : Gastehaus Kaiserstrasse Hotel
Choose from hundreds of Vienna hotels, best prices guarantee
Toronto is the second Canadian city to make the list. The region represent the country’s main economic centre with about a quarter of its population. It is one of the world’s most culturally and ethnically diverse cities with over half of the city’s residents born outside Canada and more than 80 ethnic communities. Toronto has plenty of various districts offering excellent sightseeing (an impressive view from the CN Tower) as well as some of the province most exquisite restaurants and places to go out.
Some of the top hotels in Toronto include:
- Intercontinental Toronto Centre Hotel: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Days And Conference Centre Toronto Don Valley Hotel: Top 4 stars accommodation
- The Novotel Toronto Centre Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Super 8 Downtown Toronto Hotel: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Toronto hotels, best prices guarantee
Calgary is the third Canadian city on the list. It is Alberta’s province largest city blessed with many natural resources including oil. With over 1,2 millions people (1.1 million city-proper), it is Canada’s fourth largest metropolitan area and the largest between Toronto and Vancouver.
The city is set between the prairies on one side and the Rockies foothills on the other and is often referred to as the eastern gateway to the Mountains. Calgary is one of the most important tourism centre in Canada, welcoming many visitors each year especially those going for Ski or Snowboard trips in Banff and Jasper
Some of the top hotels in Calgary include:
- Fairmont Palliser Hotel : Top 5 stars Accommodation
- Deerfoot Inn and Casino: Top 4 stars Accommodation
- Sandman Calgary City Centre Hotel: Top 3 stars Accommodation
- Econo Lodge Motel Village: Top Budget Accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Calgary hotels, best prices guarantee
Helsinki is the only of the Scandinavian cities on the list. This beautiful city is said to be "Daughter of the Baltic" and has been the Finnish capital since 1812. The metropolitan region is today the biggest in Finland, with a city population of about 575,000.
Helsinki combines the feel of a small town while being a renown international metropolis. Although it offers a certain frozen charm during the winter, it is great during summers with plenty of outdoor cafes and bars to choose from.
Some of the top hotels in Helsinki include:
- Kamp Hotel: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi: Top 4 stars accommodation
- Arthur Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Eurohostel: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Helsinki hotels, best prices guarantee
Sydney is the second of Australian’s cities on the list. It is a place packed with restaurants, sightseeing and nightlife. Also called the Harbour City, it is known for being the oldest and largest as well as most cosmopolitan city in the country. It is also considered Australia centre for art, fashion ,design and cuisine with many exquisite places to choose from.
It is perfectly placed, with miles of ocean coastline and sandy surf beaches and surrounded by nature and national parks. It is also home to two of the most iconic structures on the planet: the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Internationally, Sydney is well known as a major finance hub as well as a sport hub, being the host city of the 2000’s Summer Olympics.
Some of the top hotels in Sydney include:
- Fraser Suites Sydney Hotel: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Mercure Sydney Hotel: Top 4 stars accommodation
- Pensione Boutique Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Australian Sunrise Lodge: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Sydney hotels, best prices guarantee
Perth, the third Australian place on the world’s most liveable cities list is the capital and one of the largest cities of the vast state of Western Australia. Although a bit isolated, it is beautifully placed on the Swan River and bounded in by the Indian Ocean coastline on one side and the Darling Scarp on the other.
With a total population of around 1.6 million it is the fourth largest city in Australia and with many uncrowned beaches along the coastline it offers the perfect laid-back lifestyle.
Some of the top hotels in Perth include:
- Alexander Residence: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Willow House Guest House: Top 4 stars accommodation
- Express By Holiday Inn Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Salutation Hotel: Top Budget accommodation
- Choose from hundreds of Perth hotels, best prices guarantee
Adelaide is the last out of 4 Australian cities on the list. As the capital city of the South Australia regions it offers plenty of café and fine dining, boutique shopping, arts events, nightlife, all immersed in a stylish architecture. As many of other Australian cities it offers plenty of sandy swimming beaches and is ideal for water sports lovers.
With a population of over 1 million it is by far the largest city of the state. Adelaide is ideally situated near some of Australia best wine regions, it has plenty to offer for various tourist.
Some of the top hotels in Vancouver include:
- Oaks Precinct Hotel: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Mercure Grosvenor Hotel: Top 4 stars accommodation
- BreakFree Directors Studios Hotel: Top 3 stars accommodation
- The Wright Lodge: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Adelaide hotels, best prices guarantee
Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland is the only New Zealand city on the top list. Because of the numerous yachts on the Waitemata Harbour and the Hauraki Gulf it is known as the "City of Sails".
Situated on the northern half of the North Island, it is the largest metropolitan area in New Zealand, with a population of over one million. It has plenty to offer from nature lovers to sports fanatics . It should definitely be on your travel list.
Some of the top hotels in Vancouver include:
- Rendezvous Hotel Auckland: Top 5 stars accommodation
- Grand Chancellor Auckland Airport Hotel: Top 4 stars accommodation
- Mount Richmond Hotel & Conference Centre: Top 3 stars accommodation
- Base Auckland: Top Budget accommodation
Choose from hundreds of Auckland hotels, best prices guarantee
The top US cites making the list is East Coast Pittsburgh on the 29th place. On the Europeans front, London moved up one place only to take the 53rd place. However French capital Paris came in at number 16. Finally the Japanese city of Osaka came up at number 12 as the top Asian city.