India: top places, map, images and video
India is the land of charming people, beautiful landscapes, breathtaking ancient heritage sites, all with an abundance of various colours, smells and a mix of cultures, religions and languages. It is considered one of the world’s most life changing destination. Some travellers even say that there are only two kind of people: those that have been to India and those that haven’t. India, is the worlds’ largest democracy, has the second largest population, and is consider one of Asia’s fastest growing economies, especially in the Information Technology sector. As part of the BRIC economies, it is considered a major player in our globalised world, and has great plans for the future and plenty of opportunities. Its infrastructure and hygienic conditions might not yet be compared to the Western standards, however if you are looking for a unique and memorable experience, then India is the definitely the place to be discovered.
View the top sights and best rated hotels on our interactive map of India with a slideshow, full screen images and HD video.
India top destinations
India is packed with a variety of architectural and cultural attractions such as the world famous Taj Mahal in Agra, numerous amazing natural wonders such as the beaches of Goa and the backwaters of Kerala, or charming religious cities such as Varanasi. Each state, large or small has plenty of cultural, historic, religious and natural sights to be discovered.
Some of the most popular destinations in India include:
- Mumbai (Bombay): India’s Bollywood and financial capital
- Goa: the number one Indian resort destination
- Kerala: home to the unique backwaters and house boat
- Delhi: India’s political capital
- Rishikesh: India’s gateway to the Himalayas
- Agra: home to the splendid Taj Mahal
- Jaipur: India’s Pink City
Mumbai often referred through its former name Bombay is one of India’s most important cities. Indeed it is the country’s financial and commercial capital as well as a major artistic centre, home the world’s biggest film industry, commonly known as Bollywood.
Goa is by far one of the most visited regions in India, located less than 600km south of the buzzing Mumbai. It is considered the primary holiday destination in the country, attracting 2.5 million visitors each year including numerous foreign tourists, with its fabulous beaches and green lush vegetation.
Kerala, known as God’s Own Country, is often considered one of India’s most beautiful states. It is situated on the south western tip of the country, on the beautiful Malabar Coast between the Arabian Sea and the larger states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
Delhi is India’s political and administrative capital as well as one of the most important cities in the country. It has some of the most expensive areas to live, and has recently surpassed Mumbai as the most sought after city to live in India.
Rishikesh, often referred to as the Gateway to the Himalayas, is one of the most charming hill stations within the state of Uttarakhand in the Northern part of India. It is perfectly situated at the foothill of the world’s largest mountain range, proudly sitting on the bank of the holly Ganges River.
Agra is by far one of the most visited and unique tourist destinations in India. Indeed being home to the world famous Taj Mahal and numerous other splendid heritage sites such as the Agra Fort, the city attracts millions of visitors each year, both from India and internationally.
Jaipur, best known as the Pink City, is the capital and largest city of the northern state of Rajasthan. It is considered one of the best planed cities in the country, with its wide 34 m roads, precisely divided sectors and networks of gridded streets. For Indian’s standards, it is a relatively new city, founded in 1727 by the Maharaja of Amber as the capital of the royalty.
India best hotels
India has some of the worlds most sought after accommodations. We have selected some of the finest 5 Stars and 4 Stars hotels offering great value for money.
Check out the best hotel deals in India, with up to 75% discount.
Some of the best rated luxury hotels in India include:
- The Taj Mahal Palace , Mumbai 5 Stars hotel
- The Oberoi Mumbai, Mumbai 5 Stars hotel
- Trident Nariman Point Mumbai, Mumbai 5 Stars hotel
- Vivanta by Taj – President, Mumbai 5 Stars hotel
- Marine Plaza, Mumbai 5 Stars hotel
- Vivanta by Taj Panaji, Goa 5 Stars hotel
- Taj Exotica Goa, Goa 5 Stars hotel
- Vivanta by Taj – Fort Aguada, Goa 5 Stars hotel
- Vainguinim Valley Resort , Goa 5 Stars hotel
- Alila Diwa, Goa 5 Stars hotel
- Vivanta By Taj – Bekal Hotel, Kerala 5 Stars Hotel
- Vivanta by Taj – Malabar, Kerala 5 Stars Hotel
- Dream Hotel, Kerala 5 Stars Hotel
- The Leela Kempinski Kovalam Beach, Kerala 5 Stars Hotel
- Taj Mahal New Delhi, Delhi 5 Stars Hotel
- Taj Palace New Delhi, Delhi 5 Stars Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi, Delhi 5 Stars Hotel
- The Oberoi New Delhi, Delhi 5 Stars Hotel
- Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra 5 Stars Hotel
- Trident Agra, Agra 5 Stars Hotel
- The Gateway Fatehabad Road, Agra 5 Stars Hotel
- Clarks Shiraz Agra, Agra 5 Stars Hotel
- Wyndham Grand Agra, Agra 5 Stars Hotel
- The Oberoi Rajvilas Jaipur, Jaipur 5 Stars Hotel
- Rambagh Palace, Jaipur 5 Stars Hotel
- Fortune Select Metropolitan, Jaipur 5 Stars Hotel
- Jai Mahal Palace, Jaipur 5 Stars Hotel
- Jaipur Marriott, Jaipur 5 Stars Hotel
The following is a selection of some of India’s best photographs. It includes images from some of the country’s most important destinations such as Mumbai, Goa, Kerala, Delhi, Rishikesh, Agra and Jaipur.
Click on the images to view them in full-size within a lightbox.
The following is an HD Film about the best of India created by Mat Siems. It includes footage from some of the country’s most important destinations such as Mumbai, Goa, Kerala, Delhi, Rishikesh, Agra and Jaipur.